Skip to main content

Children: Our Own Little Mirror

As a parent, we all have those days. Those days where the screaming and crying and whining and just pure chaos of life with kids gets to you. You have stayed calm and collective, for as long as your emotions will allow you. You've kept a soothing voice as you continue to repeat, “No ma’am, we do not jump on your brother,” or “No ma’am, we do not hit” or fill in the blank.  And for the most part they tend to listen for at least for a little while until they go right back to doing it again. The life of having a three-nager.
But as I have said, you reach the point where you crack. This is when you start shouting at the top of your lungs at your child, telling them to stop and for them to listen to you. I have been at this breaking point plenty of times over the past few months as my daughter works through her independence and as most people put it; typical 2-3 year-old phase.
            I have defended myself in my anger saying that I don’t yell at them all the time and I only yell after my daughter has blatantly disobeyed me multiple times. Now before this turns into a debate on how you should talk or not yell at your children, let me tell you something I have noticed very quickly the past few weeks.
            I have noticed that when I start to yell at my daughter, very seldom does she cry or show much remorse for her actions. Sure she listens to me on occasion, but the main thing is she shows anger back at me!  As soon as I start to raise my voice and visually show frustration with her, she immediately mimics my emotions.  She grits her teeth, flares her nostrils, and lowers her brows and talks in the same manner.
            At first, I got even more upset when she did this until I realized it is not her fault.  She is simply mirroring my emotions and actions.  So when I get to the bottom of it, I am actually looking at myself when I look at her. It’s not pretty.
I know it can be frustrating dealing with kids at times, especially in the midst of the Terrible-Twos, or the Tyrannical-Threes.  Ephesians 6:4 states, “Fathers, do not provoke your children to anger, but bring them up in the discipline and instruction of the Lord.”

With my actions and emotions, I am provoking my children to anger. I do not have the perfect answer to prevent this from occurring, but I know this must change. Taking deep breathes, counting to ten, walking away for a moment, praying, and know that God is in control. We must fight to raise our children up in a spiritual and Godly atmosphere.

Comments

  1. Good morning Michael - I am featuring this post on the Ruby for Women blog today - just wanted you to know! Karen has not been available for a couple of weeks as her mother had a heart attack and is not doing well, so I'm working on the blog posts for now. Please pray for her family during this time. Also, we are now accepting submissions for the summer issue of the Ruby magazine so if you guys have anything you would like us to include please send it along to Beth Brubaker, our assistant editor, at bethatruby@aol.com Thanks so much! Nina @ Ruby for Women

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

A Man of Prayer

            I want to be a man of prayer.  Too many times have I heard the phrase, “I’ll be praying for you” or “I’ll make sure to keep you in my prayers.”  Unfortunately, the phrase has been uttered from my mouth way too many times.  The problem with the phrase is that it isn’t true in most cases.  I may not end up praying for the person!             I think this goes for a lot of people today. These phrases have been used in place of a simple, “I hope you feel better” or “I’m sorry to hear about that.”  People now say they are going to pray for someone, but are they really doing it?!             I have been convicted of this more times than not as of late.  It is time to change this.  Whether it be praying for the person right then and there or writing down the prayer request in a journal, I need to change this often empty promise.             I can remember a time when I kept a small prayer journal with me at all times and I would write different requests in it as I would hea

Lord, Light the Fire Again

              I used to attend a bible study when I was in high school. I remember at the beginning of every study, we would begin with 20 to 30 minutes of worship with just one or two people playing a guitar. Back then (and currently to some extent), I was the kid that needed to be the center of attention. I remember going as far as making up hand motions to one of my favorite worship songs, “Light the Fire Again.” As soon as I did so, I lost sight of the true meaning of the words I was singing and made it more about myself. I’ll come back to this in a moment.                Fast forward about twelve years later to this past Sunday. I was sitting in a church service at my parents’ church listening to an amazing worship service then followed by a very refreshing sermon by a guest speaker. The pastor talked about the “Three Tents” of God that occurred in the bible. I will not attempt to do the sermon justice, but essentially he discussed how God was present at ALL TIMES in the bible